Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Ask Yourself This - Wendy Craig-Purcell


Ond of the podcasts I listen to religiously is Unity FM's Hooked on Classics. It is a weekly book club that examines books by and about the Unity Church and New Thought. From the point of view of my thesis writing it is a valuable process, because it really examines New Thought ideas in depth, and from a number of different perspectives. On a personal level, I enjoy the whole process of reading a book very closely over a couple of months and hearing it analysed week-by-week. I've always wanted to be in a book group, but my insane schedule doesn't allow for it. This is the perfect compromise.

One of the books recently studied was Wendy Craig-Purcell's Ask Yourself This. Craig-Purcell is a Unity Minister, and spoke about her own book on several of the shows. Needless to say I found this a prticularly fascinating exercise, a kind of anti-Barthesian commentary that actually says a lot about self-help writing and it's excessive intertextuality and self-referencing.

The premise of the book is that it represents a series of personal questions that the reader should ask herself. These questions are challenging and are meant, naturally, to facilitate personal and spiritual growth. As well as exploring the questions at length in print, the reader is also asked to meditate on each question and to journal on the reflections, thereby deepening the impact of the reading process.

The questions are not particuarly innovative or unusual, but they are broad enough to be quite challenging to answer, and spending time in wondering about them causes any number of additional questions to be formed in the mind of the engaged reader. Questions include such things as:

"What am I looking for?
Who am I trying to change?
If I knew I would be successful, what would I be saying "yes" to?"


The final chapter of the book is a peculiar diversion into the area of home schooling, something about which the author is passionate. Home schooling is a hot topic in America, and Craig-Purcell is keen to explore it as a religious person who is neither conservative nor fundamentalist. I must say that this section seems to sit awkwardly with the rest of the book, however, and for this reader at least added nothing to the process being explored. And certainly in Australia, where home schooling is a non-issue, this whole bit can profitably be ignored, and the book be wound up at the end of chapter 7.

Ask Yourself This is interesting because it is not a practical self-help book. Published by Unity House, the Unity School of Christianity's own publishing arm, the book is decidedly spiritual in bent, and the questions are intended to inspire prayer and reflection rather than specific action. This leaves the whole process of reading the book and folllowing its suggestions a much more open-ended process, and one I think would be quite attractive to many readers, particularly if they are of a more mystical bent.

I enjoyed the book, and interestingly I read most of it while I was on retreat at a Benedictine monastery, and it was the perfect companion on such an occasion. Slim and easy-to-read, Ask Yourself This is an excellent primer in New Thought and a nifty text for helping the reader to explore some of the more challenging (and more grandly focused) spiritual niches of the mind.

2 comments:

Wendy Craig-Purcell said...

Hi Walter,

Thank you so much for reading my book and posting your thoughts about it on your blog. I enjoyed reading what you wrote very much and appreciated your reflections on the book. I totally agree with you about the last chapter of the book. It had been my intention that the last chapter be called a "bonus chapter" because I knew it didn't "fit" with the other chapters in the same way. It's purpose was two-fold: to share the broad idea of encouraging parents to use questions with their children on a regular basis to build a deeper and closer relationship and, as you rightly point out, to share my passion for encouraging parents to consider that there are alternatives to traditional public education. Most would agree that the public education system in the US is broken. Is it that homeschooling is not permitted in Australia or is it a non-issue because it is widely accepted?

All the best!

Wendy Craig-Purcell

Walter Mason said...

Hi Wendy - thanks for commenting!
As far as I'm aware there simply isn't much home schooling done in Australia - it is yet to become the social movement that it is in the States. For the most part our big educational debate is on public vs. private schooling and how each sector should be funded. But who knows, maybe in years to come people will start doing home schooling here.
As an aside, I was home-schooled for a number of years, but out of necessity rather than choice - we lived in a very remote area with no schools. It wasn't such a positive experience for me, which might explain some of my hesitations :-)
Anyhow, it's a fabulous book, and I loved hearing you on Unity FM!