Wednesday, January 30, 2013

5 Lives to Live

This year I am engaged in a modified version of Chris Brogan's three book diet (which, incidentally, he has already given up on), in that I have selected three self-help books that I am reading repeatedly and doing my best to apply practically. Read more about how Walter Mason will re-reading self-help books all  through 2013.

One of the books I have chosen to engage with intensively all year is Barbara Sher's classic Wishcraft, a book I have never previously read all the way through.




One of the practical exercises in this book is Five Lives. In it, Sher asks us to imagine we have five simultaneous lives, and to record what we would actually be in each one. Here's what I wrote:

1. A writer
2. An academic
3. A New Thought minister
4. A Buddhist monk
5. A film maker


Walter Mason as academic


The purpose of this exercise? Sher writes: "In each of your "lives" is something you love very, very dearly and need to get into your one life - and you can."

You must have five things you'd like to be if you had five separate lives? Would you like to share them in the comments?

No comments: